Friday, March 15, 2013

Assigned Entry # 3 UCF Accelerated program


I have done an accelerated program at Arizona College for my Associates of science a year ago and so I know first had what’s its like, so when I was reading the Arizona Republic news I knew what it was like to be in that program first hand.
 
 
The norm for every college and University is that they have what's called the 15 week semester courses. The 15 week is a result of professors instructing at a normal pace where everyone actually seems to be following along at a steady pace. Arizona State University (ASU) is developing what's called the 7 1/2 week semester course, where classes are being taught in a faster pace (AZ college call it accelerated). They make it so that students can graduate faster which makes the tuition cost less. ASU plans to help students to want to continue their education with less hassle and take less time to do it which means that they won’t have time to idle away from school.


My opinion about this 7 and a 1/2 week semester course tuition rate change is not going to be significant enough to speak because the prices won’t be changing drastically. But it is going to persuade more students to enroll into the university because they see that there's a program that goes much faster than having to attend university for 4 years. I will make the dropout rate decrease seeing that the time will fly by faster and it won’t be so tedious and drawn out.
 



My personal experience with the accelerated program is that it is hard and you have to be dedicated at all times, you have to have a good support system because if your life is chaotic you will crumble. It is a lot of pressure so you need to have a drive to succeed and keep your motivation in your thoughts at all time. I like to learn something and get it over with. I don’t like to dwell on something too long I will get distracted and drift off in my own world so I loved it. Each time I finish a class I feel accomplished I focused on one class at a time and go through it within a month and then off to another class. I like the idea of lower tuition.


 
One of the comments said "Sounds more like a crammed summer course to me where you just get the hours in in order to get the grade and get out as fast as you can." I agree because who wants to dwell on something for such a long period of time when you can get that same information in a shorter time so you won’t forget it. I like the sound of the comment “Call it the new Wal-Mart degree. There is nothing wrong with faster it just shows that you are able to cram a lot of information in a short period of time.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment