Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Where the Easter Bunny come from?





Growing up in a Christian home I have never been told about the Easter egg or painted an egg and looked for it, so I decided to do a blog about where did the whole idea come from and why is a bunny laying eggs because I know Rabbits (bunnies) are mammals, just like us, they have babies just like dogs and cats, which tells me the egg thing is symbolic.



I ask my Best friend what it is all about because her mother had that tradition with her growing up but unfortunately she couldn’t give me a straight answer.


I grew up in Jamaica so there is no school for the whole week of Easter and on that morning my mother would give us bun with cheese to eat in the morning for breakfast and took some for lunch to eat in Church. My mother made fish for dinner before we left for church so we can have it after a long survice at church.  She told me bun symbolizes the resurrection of Jesus Crist on the 3rd day after his crucifixion at Calvary.


Today the origins of Easter like Christmas are overshadowed by modern traditions and mythology and mow is about people dying eggs in huge baskets and scavenger hunts



Doing my research I came to find out that the rabbit was sacred to the mythic goddess of spring Eostre which is where Easter takes its name Rabbits have frequent multiple births so it becomes a symbol of fertility and eggs is a symbol of rebirth and were often used in pagan celebrations Christians adopted the egg symbol to represent the rebirth of Jesus Crist the egg can also represent the tomb from which Jesus arose. Back then different nations would hold rituals to celebrate life and fertility and the rabbit was a sure sign of spring and fertility they would come out and multiply and another symbol of life was the egg during the vernal equinox eggs was dyed red in the exchange for good luck tokens to worship the goddess of rebirth renewal and spring called Eostre who would return at the vernal equinox and bring life back to earth. Eostre is where they get the name Easter


The story was that one year the Eostre was late at returning to earth and bringing the worth of spring as a consequence birds wings froze off the Eostre felt guilty and wanted to save the bird so she turned it into a rabbit the rabbit became one of her cohorts  and to honor its beginning as a bird once a year at the vernal equinox the rabbit had the ability to lay rainbow colored eggs which it would hide for children to find children were also told to lay there caps and bionics on the floor upside down and the rabbit would make a nest in the hat and leave the eggs there and this is the modern day Easter basket.

4 comments:

  1. I did not know anything about this. this is very interesting. The only thing I'm used to is seeing others hunt eggs, having an Easter basket, and the Easter bunny but seeing this blog post got me to know where Easter came from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is really interesting! As a kid I always went Easter egg hunting and waited for the Easter bunny to come at night, but I never really knew where the whole idea of bunnies came from. I also enjoyed reading about how you celebrated Easter since you're from a different culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of the 19 years that I've celebrated easter I have never thought to look into where the easter bunny came from! Great topic of choice. Who would've thought a mythical goddess would end up hiding plastic eggs and bringing baskets for children

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rochelle--You have a couple good new entries here. You bring up some good points for discussion and some interesting topics. Pretty good visual appeal as well. You are missing AE#5 and one more self-generated.

    ReplyDelete